Thursday, July 7, 2011

"I Am Not What I Am" - Young and in the Way


“I Am Not What I Am”, the album title grabbed my attention as soon as I saw it on bandcamp. Hailing from Charlotte, North Carolina, Young And In The Way have been around since 2009, bringing to the hardcore/metal world a great blend of hardcore blackened crust. With 1 full length, 2 EP’s and a split with the great Torch Runner on their belt, YAITW are here to cement themselves into your mind by delivering one of the most punishing albums this year, putting their debut album “Amen” behind them.
   
The opening track itself gave me goosebumps, using “Requiem” by György Ligeti from 2001: A Space Odyssey, it produces one of the most eerie openers of any album. That is until the drums and guitar come in, sounding like the end of the world. After that is done, comes “And We Have Kill Him” which brings a familiar sound like Rot In Hell, New Lows, & Trap Them, fast and angry. But I have to say that this record is pure evil. The angry that bleeds out of this along with the vocals. Kable has one powerful set lungs because his vocals are outstanding.
   
Least favorite moment of the album was the instrumental “With Strange Aeons Even Death May Die” felt more like a filler than an intro into a song. I am really glad it was the only instrumental song on this album, hut didn’t discourage me to stop listening at all, I just wanted more of the ferocious band. In fact, they punched me in the face with the title track. Shouldn't have doubted it for a second.
    
YAITW brought it back with the title track “I Am Not What I Am”, and it just battered me, completely taking me by surprise. The shouting of the last lines on it were visceral at best. “They have your blood, christ-filled pigs, obey their throne, you have no shelter” making the message to us clear. They made this record to destroy and make you feel desolate. I hope you can stay still while listening to this album, I sure can’t.
    
This album not only is it fresh, it breaks the mold of hardcore, by bringing the most evil album this year, Young And In The Way are here to make sure you hear them. I hope you are ready for this album because it’s a ride to the deepest abyss of hardcore. Dropping you with the track “ Ascending The White Mountain” you will want more. So buckle up and take this for a spin, you will not be disappointed with one of the best albums this year, it will leave you devoid and angry, asking for more.

4.5 out of 5.

Mike

1 comment: